As already highlighted, we can wrongly think that when we dilute an essential oil with a carrier oil, we are reducing the beneficial effects, and at the same time, in order to get a more intense and quick result we need to use more essential oil in a single application.
Although essential oils are readily absorbed, there are many ways to increase absorption. Using a light massage will increase the blood flow to the area of application, in turn improving distribution throughout the body. Use of a carrier oil can also increase absorption, especially in skin that is dry or flaky as it helps moisturize the skin and slow evaporation of the oil.
To decrease the likelihood of developing a skin sensitivity, especially on young or sensitive skin, it is advisable to use a carrier oil (such as Fractionated Coconut Oil) to dilute more potent oils and when trying an oil for the first time. The recommend dilution ratio is typically one drop of essential oil to three drops of carrier oil.
It’s always advisable to use several small doses throughout the day rather than a single large dose. Start with the lowest possible dose (1–2 drops). A topical dose can be repeated every 4–6 hours as needed. Because every individual is unique, the dose will vary for each individual based on size, age, and overall health status.
- Softens and soothes dry skin.
Natural emollient to increase essential oildistribution.
Odorless and colorless for easy blending with anyessential oil.
- Easy to apply.
Use to minimize sensitive skin reactions to essential oils by applying directly to affected area.
doTERRA has categorized its essential oils by application method and skin sensitivity, in order to make easy to understand for all of us, how to safely use doTERRA essential oils:
Every person has a personal sensitivity to the different essential oils, but we can still follow general rules in order to use them safely:
- Learn about the classification made available in the products guide as following: N = Neat, S = Sensitive, D = Dilute.
- Always dilute if in doubt, especially if it is your first topical application.
- When applying topically with children, always dilute with a carrier oil and apply preferably under the sole of their feet.
- In general, dilute in the ration 1 drop of essential oil to 3 drops of carrier oil.
- Start with a small dose, and if necessary, repeate during the day every 4-6 hours.
- Good point of topical application are: back of the neck, forehead, temples, chest, tummy, arms, legs and sole of the feet.
- Remember to avoid direct sun light for a 24 hours period after applying citrus oils (such as Lemon, Lime, Wild Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Litsea, etc…)
For a safe application for a prolong period of time, you can also refer to the following suggestions: